Shaw Island School District #10
Our historic schoolhouse is ringing in the new year with a new shake roof and copper spire.
Shaw Island School was built in 1890. The current building was the second school house on the island. The first, a small log cabin, was only open for a short period of time before it was replaced by the current building.
Over the years the classes have ranged from 2 to 35 students. The school started as a one room school house. In the 1970's as more students came, the community built a second room. The little red school on Shaw has been in continuous operation longer than any other school in the state.
Photos by Ned Griffin